Monday 18 June 2018

So this week....

In a crazy act of serendipity I started reviewing this blog and was looking to update tags, edit and revive what was worth breathing life into. I've been reading older posts, and looking to discover how I can make better use of this platform. Kimberley K. Stone and Scribbles and Squiggles in Spiralbound Notebooks is having a much needed overhaul. Not least cause these day I have new name. Mrs Kimberley K. Lemmer should I choose to liberally apply it. Lemmer is thought to mean blade maker, who knew I could be cutting....

The thing is I have actually been writing this blog for a decade, this week. Wow!!!! Which is incredibly reassuring. It's the small things that become big things. A sense of satisfaction is surely to follow. What was really funny was that I was sure that I had started this blog in 2008. I have spent a significant part of the day evaluating what I had been writing about for ten years and the first post that I could find in the backend (that the part of the blog that you can't see) was in February 2009. Which made me think that, one, I had gotten it wrong, two, that my first blog post was amazingly interesting and not about what I remembered, three that maybe google deleted posts over a certain age. Then I got to work on what I thought was the first post trying to find things to tag..... only to realise after an hour of working up the blog post list that there was a second page to my blog post history doh!!!!

Today writing this I'd like to write more in-depthly about what has happened in the ten years. Right now there isn't enough time. Which is great as I now have content for a few more blog posts up my sleeve. When I started this blog I had had a car crash and hit my head badly on windscreen and I believe that I was at home at my mothers when I opened this little gem of hindsight. What is incredible then, when I opened this blog that I was sitting on a precipice, with all the hope and aspiration of someone in my late twenties. The strange thing is that I still haven't achieved anything that I hoped to and yet in other ways I have far exceeded anything that I could have dreamed of. I often say that I am living a life beyond my wildest dreams and I am. I hadn't even dared to hoped that I would live the life I lead now in Cape Town a city that had barely entered my consciousness. I had always hoped to have and extended stay in Rio De Janeiro I'm really rather happy with this alternative. Cape Town is a very different world from the village I grew up in on the West Coast of Scotland. All I can really say is that there are incredible plans afoot if you don't know exactly what it is that you want to do with your life. Further to this as many of us know and find as we move through life, the thing that I am most proud of, value and appreciate are my human connections, the people I've met along the way. What I also know for many of them - and believe me this sounds a bit up myself. I know I do inspire. That's an incredible thing to know as woman on a low income only a few rung above housewife material. My uncompromising attitude to some of life greater debates and society challenges has won me some very surprising friends over the years and it an absolute honour to be able to hold council with them, purely for being me and for no other reason. Lastly there are people who have gone out of their way for me, gone a above and beyond in the name of friendship - My new husband being one of them, the list is long. When I was in my early twenties "I used to say it's not what you know it's who you know" it was one of my mantras. People used to argue with me about it. I was use it in a kinda self interested way like if you know what people to ask you could always solve a problem quicker than on your own. For example getting a job, or finding a cheap new tyre, that kind of stuff. If you were connected on a base level. Now I think of that statement far differently. I experience this world through who I know, nothing has informed this vantage point more than my new family that I married into recently. There I things that I thought I knew historical and intellectual that you can only truly understand if you have spoke the people that have experienced it first hand. I'm talking about Apartheid. It's not what I thought it was. We are all unique human memory boxes with our own vantage point of the world. The more we plug in and connect to one another the more we have to gain, which assures me now more than ever that the thing that I should be focusing is my own work. 


Whoop whoop ten years on and only just beginning to pick up pace. Apparently the first 28 years of your life are just research.....10 years on it's been figuring out implementation. It's time.

No comments: