Wednesday 20 June 2018

Retrospective

Well I'm undergoing massive overhaul, lets see if it lasts more than a week. As a result I have been re-viewing this blog and figuring out what next? How to clean in up. How to make in marketable (fuck did I really just say that (The Revolution is not dead, Viva)) and how to work through some of the issues that I have literally creating the life I want. There's some hard graft up ahead for sure. On this blog I have 32 draft articles dating back to 2008 I didn't post them because I was unhappy or it was total drivel (like really random words strung together in the hope of making it understandable) I was scared of what people might think or say. So with my current Looking Backwards Moving Forward mantra I am going to survey them and publish them them on the blog. 32 isn't that many.....?
Each of the drafts (maybe not all of them) will be published on the date that they were written (which could be years ago) with the title Retrospective: And the original title.

As I work through this process I will specially curate how I put the drafts together and consider how representative they are. As well as possibly writing an analysis of the work as part of my continuing blogs posts, filling in missing info etc etc etc. There also surely got to be some contemplative work about what was actually going on in my life as the word on the street was far clearly than what I was explicitly not saying here. At least trying not to or well being cryptic about it. I'm sure there will be a lot of navel gazing too.

I thought that I might clean up some of the blog posts that I have written being dyslexic and a poor typist. The work can be shoddy, even this post now is spewing out of my brain and fingers is in a terrible state as a first draft. I suppose what I want to demonstrate is the idea of progress and learning and actually I am sure I have surprised myself as to how much I have learned about the writing in the process. How often it is that if we don't think that we are any good that we never started. I did start.....now it's time to finish. Oh and continue....

On that not though I have now created another dilma for myself.....hmmm this might be one of Delphine. I'm a good writer. Yes I am. Disagree with me if you dare and as I am actually  for the first time in my life very serious and find a productive financially stable way forward. I really do want to promote my work and get clients, interest, what for it.....maybe even jobs. Is it time for rethinking my radical self.... am I ready to compromise. The great thing about writing is that it gives you the opportunity to think about these things. The bigger questions, it's such a privilege to just take this time for myself. Meanwhile other people are stuck writing articles on Nutmeg recipes, say that though food these day is certainly revolutionary.....

If you've met me in person, my uncompromising political rants or expressive outpourings is part of what many people really enjoy about me. I want to build a personal brand, I want people to read my writing. I want to contribute what I know, and understand to be true to the world. Lots of other people do it. I can too? The challenge is is that I intend to write a blog post a day, well until that drives me a little crazy. I want to get a head of the game, so that I write in each day and that the posts stack up and eventually they too are automatically scheduled, run for months at at time and I don't even have to think about it. What and amazing idea and I can get set off out into the world a play knowing that I'm still broadcasting on a certain frequency.

The thing is that what I really am, interested in is complex. I'm interested in the built environment, society and culture and I would really like to take the time to develop some really interesting research outside the bounds of traditional academia. I suppose I am historian. That is true. I have a degree in The History of Modern Art & Design though I have never had a job with that title, can't imagine there are any (we are usually curators, the most overused word of the teenies)  that reflects that so I suppose this is taking on a project to completion in order to build up stamina.....

The real challenge is now to build a body of work. Wait there I suppose I have one already from the last ten years of this blog. In other news what I just read a blog post from when I lived in Pretoria. I was trying to do exactly the same thing build up a writing portfolio. Talk about Ground Hog Day. This time things are different? Are they? Really? I hope so....what the alternative....give up and die....never.

No comments: