Wednesday 7 January 2009

Frozen River

I think I might have finally figured out how to get round my blogging problem with access to the internet and all, as this one is being written from Penryn Public Library, where as a Dolie or on the sick I get an hour fee each day, that is if the library is open. Luckily the computers are generally free and the Library is generally quite quiet, so that I am able to concentrate on what i'm writing.

Everything has gone back to normal here in Penryn except the river is now frozen which is causing a bit of chitter chatter on the great gossip highways. It was a bit of a shock on Tuesday mornign to wake up to Wayne shouting across the boat "Mrs are you up yet", Cheryl was there to kitted out in full hat, scarves and gloves. The river had frozen over, apparantly it was the first time in ten years. It was really thick but still it was frozen, being a tidal river, it was frozen sea water. A hint of Winter has finally hit Penryn, a brief escape from the perpetual autumn. I got up and climbed onto Waynes boat in my pyjama's and slippers to enjoy a cup of tea. Rather than getting dressed I decided to do my rounds ashore like collecting the mail. Andy my landlord had not yet noticed the wintery developments until I pointed it out to him. Next thing next we had gone conoeing through the ice, while I was still in nightware. The ice made the most rewarding sound as the canoe and paddles crunched there way through. It was well worth the short paddle for the experience.

Throughout the day I made various attempts to clarify my Housing Benefit payments. I had been awarded the full amount to cover the Council Tax bill, while I had only been awarded £13.34 a week towards my mooring fees which are £114.40 a month, you can see my predicament as I only recieve £60.50 a week on Income Support. Saying that on a global scale I'm doing really rather well. However after long discussion with both Wayne and Andy, we agreed that our small residential fee covered both electricity and water that therefore would not then have to be deducted for from the overall mooring fee. Complicated? Any way with £35 coming out for the credit card and £35 coming out for the ohone bill is reasonably to say I'm still skint, though still very grateful for the benefits system.

On Monday I was invited to two 'Mama Mia' parties on the same day which tells me there is a national craze. Afton my best friend is getting married to Her Romanian/Italian lover sometime this year at Toronto City Hall, which I'm very happy about.

Wayne has been frantically getting ready for Wibbilly Wobbilly Womas a celebration of his own creation, invented to raise us for the after Christmas slump. The 'relaxed get together' (as it is being marketted) requires people to bring their Christmas left overs, the most rediculous present you can find for £1 and a musical instrument if you've got one. I haven't got my present yet. Today I have been walking around Penryn in my sheepskin slippers as I can't find my red trainers. I'm sure there safe i'm just not sure where.

No comments: