Thursday 16 January 2020

Happy New Life

Every year I think I'm going to hit the ground running with a brand new routine. This year I manage to have outdone myself and started out with a brand new life. I've quite outdone myself. I've moved from Cape Town back to Scotland and overall I'm quite pleased about it. If a little discombobulated.

I've been living at friends now for nearly two months and I'm getting to the point that it would be nice to have some drawers or some hangers, maybe even a shoe rack. Maybe it seems like a new life or simply a return to an old one in a very different form after all nearly 20 years have gone by since I last lived in Scotland full time. A lot's changed, about the place, the people and especially the politics. It's been immensely eye-opening, wondering exactly where I fit in with it all especially having landed on the East Coast which feels quite radically different from where I grew up. I mean salt and sauce, they only do that in Edinburgh. It's quite literally an Edinburgh thing.

In the meantime, though I've investigated some new places to stay some incredible new connections and ploughing on through the work ahead. All while chasing new training opportunities and getting back to grips with pounds.

I've even had one woman explain that she doesn't identify as English anymore. What a turn-up for the books that is. While people keep on referring to the English as refugees. God only knows what that means for actual refugees. Hopefull all I can see that Scotland being a deeply egalitarian society has will treat both categories the same.

Beer is expensive along with the wine while blueberries are surprisingly cheap.

No comments: